Thursday, December 8, 2011

Can a payee alter the memo line on a check?

I paid a final amount on a bill that was due and in the memo section added "Cashing of this check constitutes payment in full". The check was cashed, but I noticed when I viewed the copy online that my memo had been scratched out by the payee. As far as I know, only the writer of the check can do this, and would normally initial that they had. Wouldn't this be considering tampering?|||Memo line is meaningless. A check is for the exchange of money only. It cannot stipulate any other agreement. You make someone sign an agreement BEFORE giving them a check.|||Yes, they can. The "memo" section is just for unofficial user memos. "Falsifying" a check would only apply to altering the "pay to" information, amount and/or signature.





I hope you realize that putting that phrase on the check does NOT discharge your loan obligation in any way. That's just an old "wives tale." Your check is NOT a loan contract amendment. They are just letting you know that THEY know that.|||Sorry, no. Also, those memo line orders aren't legally valid anyway.|||I believe that what they did is illegal.

No comments:

Post a Comment