Thursday, December 8, 2011

How do you write a business memo?

I have an assignment for school, to write a memo from an article regarding anything in the hospitality industry.


I wrote one on the Pro's %26amp; Con's of being a restaurant manager. I sent it to the teacher %26amp; he TOTALLY trashed it. it was completely wrong.


Now I am freaking out (usually I enjoy writing and am pretty good at it).


For starters, I used bullet points, he said it should be in paragraph form. The article I used was pretty long (6 pages)- should I choose a shorter article?


Any tips would be appreciated.|||Make sure you choose a specific subject you are somewhat familiar with.


1. Begin with a Subject line


2. 1st paragraph - purpose of memo


3. 2nd plus paragraphs - Summary of each important area (expansion of your bullet points - Pros (numbered sentences) Cons (numbered sentences)


4. Last paragraph - Summary and conclusion(s)





If your teacher had already provided his thoughts on an effective memo, you should follow it almost exactly. Most teachers like to see that their students are listening and following instructions. Also, business memos do not require creative writing (which you may enjoy and are good at).





Hope this helps you. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment