Monday, December 12, 2011

When submitting a resume via e-mail, should the memo in the e-mail serve as a cover letter?

I don't want to have too much "fluff" in my job inquiry. I think it's common courtesy to include a memo that explains who you are, etc. in the e-mail; however, I'd like to do a cover letter for my resume, and I think that an employer may find it a little presumptious of an applicant to burst into explanation in letter format in the e-mail. What do you think?|||Attach the cover letter the same way you attach the resume. Then in the body of the e-mail, introduce yourself and present for them your resume. Thank then for their time and sign off. Should be no more than 2-3 sentences.|||Totally agreed. I work in HR and I prefer to receive the full cover letter and resume as one attachment to the email, with a shorter memo in the email text. It is a little much to open an email and find a whole page full of information about someone.





In addition, I have to upload all the resumes I receive into a computer-based recruitment system. If the cover letter is in the text of the email, I have to copy and paste it into a separate document, save it and then upload it separately - which is a lot more work than I want to do when I've got 50-100 resumes coming in each day!





Hope this helps - good luck with the job hunt!





Ruth|||I think this will help you a lot.





The link I included explains how to e-mail your cover letter the right way and it also gives an example of what it should look like.





Good luck...hope it helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment